now accepting Submissions
Kitka is accepting audition submissions for new singers with strong, beautiful voices and engaging stage presence. We are looking for women who are adept at singing in both open/chest voice and “pure” (light vibrato) head voice styles. Familiarity with Eastern European singing and language and music-reading ability is preferred. Accurate intonation, rhythmic capability, previous performance experience and strong ensemble singing skills are essential.
Singing with Kitka is a musical adventure
We constantly strive for higher and higher standards of artistry and excellence. We perform exciting local concerts and tour throughout North America and travel to Eastern Europe. We teach vocal workshops, host regular master artist residencies to hone our vocal technique and language skills, and collaborate frequently with artists working in different musical traditions and performance media. We are currently venturing into vocal theatre and pushing our own personal and organizational creative boundaries. We record CDs and, occasionally, movie soundtracks. We have an amazing amount of fun singing together and audiences are moved to tears by our performances.
Interested singers may submit required preliminary audition materials. Top candidates will be invited for a live audition with Kitka in Berkeley, CA.
Preliminary audition materials should include the following:
1) Statement of interest including biographical information describing your musical/performance background
2) Audio (MP3) or video recordings (YouTube or Vimeo links) of two contrasting pieces demonstrating your skills singing Eastern European music. Ideally, recordings should be unedited and without effects or overdubbing.
3) (Optional) An additional recording of a piece in any style that will better acquaint us with the range and expressive capacity of your voice. Please limit additional media materials to no more than five minutes.
Please email all materials listed above as links or attachments.
IMPORTANT INFO FOR PROSPECTIVE AUDITIONEES
1) Kitka singers must live in (or be willing to move to) the San Francisco Bay Area, be available for twice-weekly rehearsals in the East Bay (currently Monday and Thursday evenings), and have general availability for performances on weekends, periodic domestic tours, and occasional overseas tours. Singers’ schedules must be somewhat flexible to allow for participation in these activities.
2) Kitka’s core ensemble members are part-time employees of Kitka, Inc., a non-profit cultural organization. All of our singers juggle other jobs with the work of the ensemble.
3) After passing trial and apprenticeship periods, core members share musical leadership of the ensemble and also assist with non-musical tasks that support the ensemble’s work. We are seeking women who are not only fantastic vocalists but also great team-players who understand the unique challenges and rewards of working in a small ensemble.
Audition materials are screened by Kitka’s core ensemble members. Singers who pass the initial phase will be invited for a live audition. For more information about Kitka auditions and membership, call 510.444.0323 or email us.